Re: [IPk] My daughter too embarrassed to tell teacher

>Has anybody else experienced their child being embarrassed to say they feel
>low at school?
I was, sometimes, I seem to remember.

Looking back, I think it would have been far better to have given me my
own glucose, so I could deal with it myself, rather than call on someone
else for help (after all, if I was in control enough to ask to be
excused from class, walk to nurses' office, ask for glucose ... wasn't I
enough in control to dig tablets out of my bag??  This was in pre-meter
times - but in these times ... own bg meter, own tablets seems to be
reasonable for children once they get to old enough to be able to make
judgements and work the machine.

Part of the problem with going low is that one's judgement is impaired
when one's low ... so while someone with a normal bg level might think
it's perfectly ok to talk to a teacher, once it drops, she might change
her mind!

Perhaps you could arrange for her to measure her bg every two hours
while at school?  That way, the teacher would be alerted, whatever?

I wonder if those highs you've been seeing when it isn't low are
actually rebounds?

Chocolate, even chocolate with caramel in it, is not a good choice for
treating a hypo - glucose is the stuff!  Yes, it's disgusting but it's
quick, and because of that, it's easier not to over-dose.  The trick is
to go hypo often, as the tablets, once dried out are really awful, when
fresh are tolerable ... ok, the trick is to not to go hypo often, but
find some way to stop them drying out!

Chocolate is wonderful stuff, but is best enjoyed with a normal blood
glucose level. I wonder how many diabetics delight in being hypo because
it 'means they can eat chocolate'!

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 1+, just discovered some wonderful dark chocolate with
biscuit bits and dried cherries at Waitrose ...

ps congratulations on getting your consultant on-side!
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)