Re: [IPk] Re:lifestyle and HbA's

Unfortunately, an HbA1c is not a universal measurement. In the US, one of
the first questions to ask when one has an unexpected HbA1c is whether the
lab has switched to a different supplier for the testing stuff. The
differences between lab kits probably shouldn't result in a margin of more
than about +/- .4, as far as I can remember. I've heard having an HbA1c
compared to be being weighed: if you know from the scale in your bathroom
that you have lost, say, 10 lbs., but your neighbor's scale says you've lost
9 lbs., 10 ozs., you're better off believing your own scale because you know
how it's calibrated. Even if the calibration is somewhat off, your knowledge
of your own situation is dependent on its relative accuracy (and, indeed,
most home scales are only relatively accurate). With HbA1cs, some tests
might return a 6.5 when others might say 6.8 with the same sample. The .3
difference with another test is not all that important to the company that
makes either test, but the person who's been tested says, 'Will somebody
please tell me what is going on here?' I bet if there were more people with
type 1 in the medical testing industry there'd be better HbA1c
standardization [grumble, mumble]. As it is, as far as I know, as long as
the same sample repeatedly generates a 6.5 on one company's test, the
company claims the test is accurate.

Speaking of A1cs, I have a bit of happy news: on 7 April mine was 7.7, and
yesterday I found out that on 11 June it was 6.8! I decided to get serious
about exercising and testing about every 3-4 hours while awake. I also
decided to get serious about eating _only_ what I want, when I really want
it. I have eaten what I've been hungry for, even if high in fat or carb, and
have been less conservative with my bolusing. I have had a couple of glasses
of wine after dinner most nights and had a couple of Cafe Mayas from AMT
each week. I've lost almost a stone since Christmas! I've been doing only
three 'healthy' things: drinking at least 2 litres of filtered water per
day, running about 10 miles per week, and using dumbbells in my room 3-4
days/week. Maybe my personal prescription for good health is to eat and
drink whatever I want (making sure to get enough vitamins, minerals, and
fiber) and run a few laps around the University Parks (which are _gorgeous_
and about 5 mins' walk from my door) most days...I think I can handle that
:> .

Gloating just a *little* bit,

IDDM 8 years; MiniMed pumper 6 years; legal to buy alcohol in my home
country 24 hours now ;) !