not allowed to practice. My firdt job was in an OPD and I hated it but it
allowed me to stay in a profession I loved. When home blodd glucose
monitoring was first available I jumped at the chance .My first meter was
#150- a lot of money in 1978!
When I look back now I see can why they would not let me practice and I
shudder at the thought that a lot of us carried on without knowing our BG
levels at all. I guess it was stict cho counting that kept us alive but that
is a different slant. I can honestly say I have never had an unconscious
hypo at work. I do sometimes go low during a long labour or a busy schedule
but no one minds if I discretely check my bg and treat either way.
The thing that really annoys me is when some meaningful colleagues come in
to a room and tell me that I am a diabetic and have to eat!! I now think I
should have a stamp made with no I DON;T HAVE TO EAT i HAVE A PUMP to go
across my forehead ! My point is that even in the `olden days' It was hard
to work in the profession and the advances of home monitoring and now pumps
have made an incredible difference to someone like me . I now work mostly in
the community and have been able to do so with no qualms about going hypo
whilst driving as I really notice now if my bg goes below 5 and adjust
things accordingly best wishes Carmel