Re: [IPk] lifestyle

>I was diagnosed in February 1996. In February 1997 I

>saw the diabetic consultant for the first time and she >did a long term
blood test for the first time. They >had a cheaper version of the HBA1c
called a >frustosamine and the result was about 500. > >To be fair to
her, I must have caught her on a bad day >- I suppose doctors are human
too? Tony, Abigail? > >As I said, it was the first time I had met her and
she >asked me _nothing_ about who I was, what I did, how I >was getting
on with the diabetes. She went straight to >the test result and gave me
an earful.

H'mmmm that sounds familiar.  I was having fructosamine tests up till
1998/9 or so.  The last one I had was 447 - that's far too high.  The
consultant apparently couldn't be bothered to change to HBA1C.  She was
fond of giving me an earful too - I wonder if it was the same hospital.
I also saw a psychologist at that clinic, who was possibly the most
non-empathetic person I ever met.  Anyway, I got bored of going to the
dead-fish-like psychologist, the hospital changed consultants, the
new consultant changed my insulin regime and abolished fructosamine and
in six months I had an HBA1C of 7.1.  A lucky escape.