Re: [IPk] lifestyle

Every time I post on here I seem to moan about the
medical profession... why break the habit... ;)

Hi again Barbara,

I was diagnosed in February 1996. In February 1997 I
saw the diabetic consultant for the first time and she
did a long term blood test for the first time. They
had a cheaper version of the HBA1c called a
frustosamine and the result was about 500. As I didn't
hang around at that particular hospital to have
another one, I don't really know how this result
compares to the average.

To be fair to her, I must have caught her on a bad day
- I suppose doctors are human too? Tony, Abigail?

As I said, it was the first time I had met her and she
asked me _nothing_ about who I was, what I did, how I
was getting on with the diabetes. She went straight to
the test result and gave me an earful.

I am tempted to name and shame but that is probably
not very helpful! I moved hospital soon after that and
was pleased to find my consultant talking to me as a
human being. I have now moved again to St George's in
Tooting (just because it is nearer to where I live
now) and the staff there also look at the whole
person. They did poo-poo the idea of me using a pump,
but aside from that they have been very helpful,
organising information evenings for Type 1s etc.

Yes Barbara, I was devastated at the time. But
(fingers crossed that I get through the next 4 weeks!)
I will have proved her wrong.

Jenny.

=====