Re: [IPk] lifestyle

Don't get me wrong, I think that all diabetic clinics
should employ a psychologist. Without wishing to
contradict my last post ;-) I have myself had periods
of depression in my life (some pre-diabetes) which
have been helped by talking with a psychologist.

However I am annoyed that, at all three hospitals I
have attended, not one medic suggested that an insulin
pump might help my control. I found out about them
myself through websites such as this one.

If I hadn't done, I imagine I would still be
experiencing random highs and lows in my bg and
feeling below par all the time. Maybe I would still be
talking it over with a psychologist, or maybe I would
no longer be here - a year after diagnosis my diabetic
consultant told me I would be dead by 30, and I turn
30 next month! (I would like to stress that at the
time I was trying extremely hard to control my
diabetes and wasn't rebelling in any way.)

I do think it is vital that diabetic clinics address
the psychological side of the condition, but at the
same time giving the patient full access to
information about controlling blood sugars.

Do You Yahoo!?