[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]
[Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]

Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs



Hi Tony

I will keep on with what I do then.

That's interesting about coeliac as I keep reading that these test should be
done regularly certainly after a year of diagnosis.  Jeff Hitchcock who runs
the Children with Diabetes web site set up a list for parents of children with
diabetes and coeliac or celiac as they would spell it.  There are quite a few
of us on that list now;-(

When I referred to Sasha's damaged gut that was before she had actually had
the blood test and biopsy I was still badgering the diabetes team to check it
out at the time because she was having awful hypos that were very scary
because even mild ones became serious because of the poor absorption and of
course the first part of the gut that was damaged.  I did  know that a gluten
free diet reverses this and we have had tests back to show there are now no
longer antibodies any more.  Although there was another test they did (I cant
remember what it was called) that is a very sensitive test and it still
showing slight changes.  This they said would be reversed in time with a
strict GF diet.

I was very surprised just how quickly the gut returned to normal once on the
gf diet.  We went from having to give Actrapid half and hour or more after she
had eaten back to giving it 30 minutes before she ate in less that a month.
By 6-7 weeks we have swapped the Actrapid to Novorapid.  We were also able to
reverse hypos quickly

Jackie.

Mum to twins  Sasha and Rebecca  aged  8.  Sasha DX D 1999,  both coeliac
2001,  Mum also, to Danielle and Nicole. Wife to Terry.

Novorapid  X 2

Insulatard   X 2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tony O'Sullivan" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Sent: 21 June 2002 20:10
Subject: Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs


> Keep doing what you are doing, Jackie. Strangely enough, management of hypos
> is one of the more difficult remaining problems in type 1 diabetes. Even the
> business of getting glucagon ready is, as you say, very difficult at the
> best of times, and much worse in a panic or when you haven't seen one for a
> couple of years! When something goes down the wrong way, the person will
> cough. That's a sign that it's better to stop the drink and try something
> else. Maybe a clear straw would let you see she is actually taking the
> drink?
>
> I also like ?Michael's test for a gag reflex, as anyone with this should be
> able to drink. Use something smooth like the handle of a table spoon, and
> touch the back of the throat gently while looking at it. If the child gags,
> the reflex is there. If he/she gets sick, its your own fault!
>
> Glad to hear the glucagon did work, but it is a good idea to make the
> recovered tot sit down to eat something else afterwards, like a sandwich.
>
> There was a debate about Coeliac screening in kids with type 1 at the ADA. I
> didn't get there but I may have information about the arguments, and I know
> a lot of parents are interested in this so I'l report if I find anything. By
> the way, once on a gluten free diet, the gut isn't 'damaged' at all, it
> should work just fine. The changes of coeliac are really quite subtle, ie
> you only see them on a microscope. Something else not to be too worried
> about!
>
> Tony
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>
> To: "Insulin Pump List" <email @ redacted>
> Sent: Friday, June 21, 2002 1:33 PM
> Subject: Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs
>
>
> > Michael and Tony
> >
> >
> > If someone was fitting but not unconscious what would you think the best
> thing
> > to do is.  Sasha's fits start with terrible screaming and sometimes she
> can
> > speak but she is still jerking and her pupils are dilated and she looks
> awful.
> > The first time  she had a fit I rushed down to get the glucagon out of the
> > fridge and because my hands were shaking and trembling so much  I managed
> to
> > bend the needle and could not follow the instructions properly.  Even
> though I
> > had read them over and over and rehearsed the procedure in my mind many
> times.
> > I didn't know you had to inject air into the bottle to be able to draw up
> > either having only used insulin pens and never syringes.  I was just about
> the
> > call an ambulance but knowing how long they can take I sat Sasha up and
> held a
> > drink with a straw in it and she managed to drink the juice.  I was quite
> > surprised as I didnt know if she would be able to do this.  I wondered if
> this
> > was because she was still young and had the primitive sucking reflex that
> > babies have, still working.  Since then there have been times when I have
> done
> > the same thing.  I have given glucagon on two other occasions by using a
> small
> > amount subcutaneously.  This was when she suddenly went low in the day
> time
> > and
> > was going to sleep in front of the tele and when I tried to get her to
> drink
> > she didn't seem able to drink much and also this was during the time when
> she
> > was getting symptoms of slow or poor digestion and absorption which turned
> out
> > to be coeliac.  I was worried that because of the damage gut she would
> take
> > too long to absorb the juice or lucozade.  A very small amount just under
> the
> > skin brought her round very quickly and she was up and off playing very
> > shortly afterwards with no seeming ill effects.
> >
> > So do you think it is ok to give drink through a straw if they can still
> suck?
> > We haven't found that Hypostop is absorbed very well unless it is
> swallowed.
> > She usually tried to spit it out as it tastes horrible.
> >
> > Jackie.
> > England.
> > Mum to twins  Sasha and Rebecca  aged  8.  Sasha DX D 1999,  both coeliac
> > 2001,  Mum also, to Danielle and Nicole. Wife to Terry.
> >
> > Novorapid  X 2
> >
> > Insulatard   X 2
> >
> > ---- Original Message -----
> > From: "Michael" <email @ redacted>
> > To: <email @ redacted>
> > Sent: 21 June 2002 00:08
> > Subject: Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs
> >
> >
> > > > Hello Michael
> > > >
> > > > I got severely told off by Danielle's consultant for giving her the
> > > > gel glucose by rubbing it into her cheek and gums.  He said that if
> > > > she wasn't conscious (aware of what I was doing or asking her to do)
> > > > then I was putting her life in danger.
> > >
> > > He's concerned, and rightly so, that she may aspirate the gel. It's a
> > > tough choice to make as to whether to use gluagon or try the gel
> > > first. I'm not making a recommendation, just relating to you what
> > > I've done. Our endo was satisfied and cautioned to make sure that
> > > Lily's gag reflex was working -- I did check that first. You would
> > > not want to use a lot of the gel in any event because any liquid or
> > > semi liquid can easily be aspirated. Even for someone semi-concious.
> > >
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > >
> > > > Barbara
> > > > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > > > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact:
> > > > HELP@insulin-pumpers.org help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers
> > > > http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> > > >
> > > email @ redacted
> > > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > > help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> > ----------------------------------------------------------
> > for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> > help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
> help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml
----------------------------------------------------------
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe, contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtml