Re: [IPk] private pump training, psychologist, etc

>I have just received the book 'Pumping Insulin' to prepare me for my
>daughter's and maybe my own pump.  I must admit, it didn't make a lot of
>sense to me tonight because I don't know what square wave boluses are and

There are lots of complicated bits - square boluses, protein, exercise,
etc.  The core things you need to know are the difference between
'basal' and 'bolus', carbohydrate assessment, how to experiment, and the
procedure to follow when you get an unexpected high.

When you start pumping, you start with much higher targets than you do
'normally'.  The aim is to get a flat line blood glucose, and to
completely avoid hypos, because you can't trust any bg reading for 24
hrs after a hypo.

So rather than trying to keep your bgs above 4, and below 8, you start
trying to keep them above 8 and below 16 (or some such - different
clinics do it a bit differently).  But what it boils down to is that it
doesn't matter if you are giving a bolus of 1 unit per 10g CHO when you
start, and what you actually need is 1 unit per 11.5g CHO, or per 8.5 g
CHO, it doesn't matter that you might need to take exercise, protein,
menstruation, etc. into consideration - you are playing with such a wide
'target' area, and it is so high above hypo, that you have lots of space
to learn about your body.

Over the first few weeks, as you get your basal sorted out, and get more
confident with what you're doing with your boluses, the targets come
down a lot, and then you concentrate on ironing out the odd wrinkles.

I remain convinced that anyone with the mathematical ability and sense
of responsibility to make sure that the mortgage or rent gets paid will
find pumping well within their grasp.

Good luck!

dm 30+, 508 1+, sense of responsibility, severely limited

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)