Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs

Michael and Tony

If someone was fitting but not unconscious what would you think the best thing
to do is.  Sasha's fits start with terrible screaming and sometimes she can
speak but she is still jerking and her pupils are dilated and she looks awful.
The first time  she had a fit I rushed down to get the glucagon out of the
fridge and because my hands were shaking and trembling so much  I managed to
bend the needle and could not follow the instructions properly.  Even though I
had read them over and over and rehearsed the procedure in my mind many times.
I didn't know you had to inject air into the bottle to be able to draw up
either having only used insulin pens and never syringes.  I was just about the
call an ambulance but knowing how long they can take I sat Sasha up and held a
drink with a straw in it and she managed to drink the juice.  I was quite
surprised as I didnt know if she would be able to do this.  I wondered if this
was because she was still young and had the primitive sucking reflex that
babies have, still working.  Since then there have been times when I have done
the same thing.  I have given glucagon on two other occasions by using a small
amount subcutaneously.  This was when she suddenly went low in the day time
and
was going to sleep in front of the tele and when I tried to get her to drink
she didn't seem able to drink much and also this was during the time when she
was getting symptoms of slow or poor digestion and absorption which turned out
to be coeliac.  I was worried that because of the damage gut she would take
too long to absorb the juice or lucozade.  A very small amount just under the
skin brought her round very quickly and she was up and off playing very
shortly afterwards with no seeming ill effects.

So do you think it is ok to give drink through a straw if they can still suck?
We haven't found that Hypostop is absorbed very well unless it is swallowed.
She usually tried to spit it out as it tastes horrible.

Jackie.
England.
Mum to twins  Sasha and Rebecca  aged  8.  Sasha DX D 1999,  both coeliac
2001,  Mum also, to Danielle and Nicole. Wife to Terry.

Novorapid  X 2

Insulatard   X 2