Re: [IPk] UK funding

Funding issues...

We have a special page on our website at

which gives assorted stories and opinions about getting funding in the UK.
The page is not the complete story, as the field is changing all the time.
But you may find it useful to look through. If you would like to share your
own tale, please email it to me and I will put it on the page.

Another useful source of independent advice is John Davis, who runs INPUT
<http://www.webshowcase.net/input> His phone number is 01590 677911 and
email email @ redacted He may be able to advise you where your nearest
hospital is which supports pumps.

At the end of the day, some people get full funding for their pump and for
on-going supplies. Funding comes from a variety of places. You just have to
keep asking, be persistent and never take no for an answer. Others pay for
the whole thing privately. I started off like that, and the infusion sets
and bits and bobs cost me about 1000 pounds a year. Not a trivial expense.
But some can bear it better than others. Pumps themselves cost broadly 2000
pounds. And in my experience initial training by the pump company is
included in that cost - provided your clinic approves.

Good luck!

2 other newish pages on the website:

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/roi - Updated with new info about pumps
in the Republic of Ireland, including an article by Dr Tony O'Sullivan
submitted to the Diabetes Federation of Ireland.

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/activenews - We have reproduced an
article from Diabetes UK about exercise and the pump. The article even
mentions Hypostop :-)

John Neale
Website editor

mailto:email @ redacted