Re: [IPk] private pump training, psychologist, etc

Thanks for your support.  I really need it.

I think doctors look at me and think highly strung, nervy, it must be stress.
In my teens I was put on tranquilizers for very severe period pains.  They
didn't help but later iron for my anemia did the trick (I didn't look anemic).
In my twenties I was put on valium because I broke down suddenly.  It wasn't
until the following summer when it suddenly happened again that I realized the
problem was the new antihistamines I had been prescribed the previous year.  I
changed to another type and that did the trick.  In 1990 when I felt so unwell
the doctor started talking about stress in my life but luckily did a blood
test - diabetes!

I was lucky that for a number of years I did have a GP who took me seriously
and never once put me on valium.  Instead he looked for a cause and diagnosed
my under-active thyroid gland, osteoporosis (premature menopause in 20s) and
perennial allergies and treated them accordingly.

Originally I think the hospital wanted me to see a psychologist because:  my
levels fluctuated; I sometimes forgot to take my tablets or change my patch
(HRT); and occasionally I forgot to inject my insulin (the phone would ring or
children wanted something and distracted me); I kept having night time hypos
and couldn't stop them.

I tried to explain that I had a number of medical things to do each day
(several tablets, morning and evening);  patch to change two days a week;
awkward to take tablet to take each morning on empty stomach (not easy with
night time hypos);  exercises for a frozen shoulder plus all the diabetes
stuff.   OK I know I should concentrate and not forget - I just get carried
away sometimes and think of something other than my health!  At first (Jan
2001)I didn't go to see a psychologist - I thought this was a medical problem
- I was told I needed the new insulin glargine but it wasn't available.  I was
just waiting to get my basal rate correct. (Come back in 6 months time)   THEN

Last years was appalling but I don't feel able to go into all that now but it
was quite quite dreadful.  I will just mention some of the minor problems.
Three of us in the family were admitted for emergency surgery last year and 2
hours after my husband was discharged my son had a car accident!  He wasn't
hurt so we didn't make the full house. Etc etc etc etc
.................................. The curse on our family even extended
worldwide on our Silver Wedding Anniversary - guess the date.  Funny I am not
superstitious.  Anyway I did see the psychologist and am still seeing her and
I am now taking anti depressants.

About funding - No the private consultant won't be getting funding I will buy
the pump myself.  Maybe it's my fault I will be paying for the training but I
don't want to involve my NHS hospital - I have lost faith.  I will go to them
for basic blood tests and checking for complications.

I am not overweight - my BMI is towards to lower end.  I don't do formal
exercise but do a great deal of gardening and quite a bit of walking and my
stamina isn't bad. My blood pressure and cholesterol are good and I have no
complications from diabetes (after 12years). I test my blood a minimum of 4
times a day but usually 6+ times and have taught myself what to do with the
results (the hospital didn't).  I've got the book Pumping Insulin and one
called Stop the Rollercoaster both have helped more than anything.  This forum
is very supportive with lots of useful information.  It makes me feel that I
am not alone.

Thanks  Heather