Re: [IPk] Driving/Fits/Hypos

Hi all,

I've never had a hypo like that while driving, but I have got out of a car
after quite long journeys and found to my surprise that my bg was well lower
than I would have liked. It's harder to spot a hypo when driving, because
you're already shaking (white knuckle) and you won't notice effects on
balance because you're not moving at all.

I find the pump helps, because I basically eat hard sweets while driving,
and put a small number of units through the pump on a square bolus.

At the end, all of us on insulin, without exception, can potentially have an
accident of this kind, but we generally don't. Should people be banned from
driving if they are on insulin? I don't think so, and the trend is actually
to liberalise in those who are making the effort at good control.

I'm a bad driver, and if I have an accident (and I have), my diabetes has
nothing to do with it! Instead of being put off the road 'just in case', my
insurance company repair my car, thank me for the business and send me on my
way.

Despite Mrs T, we do live in a society, and surely a balanced view on the
right to drive, particularly in countries with limited public transport as
we all sadly inhabit, is that people who are wantonly unconcerned about the
risk that driving poses to themselves and others, shouldn't be allowed to
drive. That doesn't include people with diabetes, at least not just because
they have diabetes!

Tony