Re: [IPk] Insulin Jets (pain-free insulin administrations)

Hi Barbara,

I know a bit about these devices because i bought one a couple of years ago.
Mine was called the Biojector, and it was designed for baby vaccinations.
The principal was, your injection is forced from a syringe under pressure,
through a very fine hole pressed against the skin. The jet of fluid
perforates the skin, depositing under the skin or even in muscle (depth is
determined by the size of the hole).

Mine was a very good quality device, driven by CO2 cylinders. It made a
fairly loud noise, which often woke the babies and made them cry. It often
hurt a bit, but also often didn't. Although I was giving larger volumes
(around 0.5 ml which in insulin would be 50 units!), I would expect the
experience with the insulin device to be similar. It is probably powered by
a spring.

For me, modern needles are very fine and painless, but it might be good for
someone who is terrified of needles. Don't forget though, the device is not
the expensive part, it's the disposables, which look costly on the website.

Hope this helps,

Tony