[IPk] Re: Heather funding

your story sounds very similar to my experience.  I was having great trouble
with Insulatard pre-pump, taking Novorapid with this, and the rollercoaster
of highs and lows making life very difficult.  We all need varying levels of
insulin throughout the day, often differing depending on activity and I have
found the pump the only way to allow this means of fine-tuned distribution.

The verdict from my consultant at the Diabetes clinic (a very well-known
London hospital)in November 2001 was that I had an 'unsuitable lifestyle' -
whatever that means, and a pump was therefore not suitable.  Yet they had no
answers for adjusting my insulin to stop my vicious night-time hypos and
subsequent morning highs, other than splitting the Insulatard dose, which
created more problems, a less steep rollwer-coaster though a more curvy one.

  I was referred to a psychologist as the problems were seen to be in my
head - the usual story that the hospital did not recognise or understand my
BG problems, as I have a good HBa1c value, look healthy, and have had no
'major' compications over 10 years of diabetes (ie. ones which have cost
them time/money).  'See you in 6 months' was beginning to depress me as I
could not share their enthusiasm with my control.

Since changing consultants and beginning pumping in Feb 2002, I have found
the Disetronic team very helpful with the pump, as well as the book 'Pumping
Insulin' invaluable.

Perhaps equally importantly, since going onto the pump I have been
carbohydrate-counting religiously. In conjunction with the pumping, this has
greatly improved my BG values.  Not once in 10 years has the hospital
suggested this, buying the woeful 1990's line of eating a 'healthy, balanced
diet' - counting was seen as obsessive and unnececesary.  I have now learnt
that it is absolutely ESSENTIAL for good control.  I am currently looking
into the effects of protein/fat on BG within a meal.  Although this
scientific method of weighing/packet reading is tedious at first, the
benefits more than make up for this.

(IDDM for 10 years, pumping for 5 months, and loving it, a lot)