Re: Clinics, pumps and carb counting WAS Re: [IPk] Funding

>What worries me is that protein (meat? can anyone help me here?) is now
>counted as carbohydrate.  Am I right?  I mean, say I was on the pump and I
>ate a plateful of cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, ham etc what would I
>have to bolus?  In the times when I was a child, the doctor would have said
>"bolus nothing" because he told us we could eat as much of that as we wanted.

Most people find that protein has so little impact, or that they eat a
standard ratio of protien-to-carbohydrate, so they don't bother with it.
I suggest you try working simply with carbohydrates, and noting whether
you get better results with certain kinds of meals than with others
(e.g. you balance perfectly after steak and chips, but go low several
hours after pasta with a tomato and mushroom sauce).    For the first
few days of pumping, we're encouraged to eat the same stuff, same time,
every day.

Protein is only important because with a pump really, really close
control is possible, and your bg going up by 2 or 3 points four or five
hours after eating is something to worry about (yes, really, we worry
about getting a reading of 8 or 9 caused by a high protein meal, so we
bolus to cover the protein ...).

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)