Re: [IPk] Funding

Hello Barbara

I haven't written before so here goes.

I decided that I wanted more information about pumps and whether it was
suitable for me.  My NHS consultant had said that it wasn't suitable and that
he did not have any patients on the pump.  He did not explain why it was
unsuitable for me.  I have had enormous trouble with my basal insulin.  I went
on Glargine last summer having obtained it by private prescription from New
York and whilst it is a great improvement on Humulin I, I am still having
trouble.  I looks as if I need different rates of basal at different times of
day.  Hence I have now decided to go on a pump.

I haven't bothered to go back to my NHS Consultant because he doesn't seem
concerned about my constant night time hypos etc, "just come back in 6 months
time" is becoming a very familiar theme.   I have seen a private consultant
experienced in pump therapy with a team familiar with pumps.  I suspect that
this is a much faster route though more expensive because I will have to pay
for training.   It is good to talk to people who are prepared to do something
about the roller coaster I am on.  Unlike the NHS they have never once
suggested that a psychologist is the way forward.

I do carbohydrate count now though this is against the advice of the
dietitians at my hospital - infact has never been brought up by the hospital -
"just eat a healthy diet" has been the only recent advice - it didn't work.
This has improved my control tremendously.

All the Best