Re: [IPk] Hypos and fits

Hi all,

I've been reading about the frequency of seizures during hypos with
interest.  I can see that if your child is prone to having seizures with
quite reasonable low levels (e.g. 2.5), then risking hypos is not on!

I count myself lucky that although diagnosed young (6), I have only ever
had two hypos where I've needed assistance (one when I was 7 - Christmas
morning, and one over ten years ago).  I've never lost consciousness,
let alone had a seizure.

What I can't understand now is, given that child regularly (i.e. more
than once or twice in their lifetime) has seizures at 'normal lows', why
is the diabetes team not insisting that the child is on mdi,
carbohydrate assessment, and that the target range is elevated, so that
6 rather than 4 is treated as hypo?

Or would raising the target range simply raise the seizure threshold,

Best wishes to all,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)