[IPk] Hypos and fits

Hi Di

You said you wondered why fits seemed more common in children.  Well I think
that children are more prone to fits during hypos because young children are
more prone to fits anyway.  Whenever I have been in hospital (numerous times
with all of my children except the eldest) there have always been two or three
kids on the ward, often brought in during the night who have had a fit.  Most
were only there for observation.  Children are prone to fits if they get an
infection and their temperature goes high.  The illness sometimes is only mild
and the kids go home the next day.  I think children's brain are more
sensitive and the brain short circuits. By the time a child is four or five
this is less likely to occur but still, maybe all children are more sensitive
than adults to the drop in glucose in the brain.  Someone having a fit can use
up a lot of oxygen so a fit needs to be treated promptly or there may be a
risk of brain damage if it goes untreated for a long time

Mum to twins  Sasha and Rebecca  aged  8.  Sasha DX D 1999,  both coeliac
2001,  Mum also, to Danielle and Nicole. Wife to Terry.

Novorapid  X 2

Insulatard   X 2