Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs

You are the same as me then.  I was diagnosed at age 10 and am now 38.  As I
mentioned earlier, I haven't had a fit for 4 years but about a month ago I
was late having my breakfast and got so engrossed in the Kilroy programme and
needless to say, I had a fit.  The scary thing is, I was aware of it for the
first time in my life.  I was gripping the arms of the chair while my head
was as far back as it would go.  I stopped for a moment and tried to stand up
to get some lucozade but as soon as I tried, the fit started throwing me
about again.  I haven't told the doctor because I am sure he won't believe me
but my mum and husband know about it.

I am like you where the sickness is concerned.  My daughter is diabetic too
and she is sick for a good 12 hours after she has had a fit.  The doctor said
it is because I haven't administered glucagon which also helps to relax the
muscles in the stomach.  I have just been having lengthy talks with my mum
(who had 3 of us as diabetic) about how we used to deal with fits by giving
sugar and water or lucozade and how completely shocked we are now that you
are not to treat a fit like this, but must administer glucagon.

It is only since my daughter became diabetic last August that I have learnt
so much about diabetes and its treatment.  I asked why I hadn't already known
all of this and was told that it must be I had been diabetic a long time and
new treatments and techniques were being shown to new patients as a matter of
course when teaching them everything.  I mean, my daughter's prescription is
made up of 2 pages and mine is only half full.  I don't have glucagon on mine
for a start.

Well, I think I'll wander off to bed now after all that.