Re: HYPOS and seizures WASRe: [IPk] Constant highs

I note everyones comments here and would like to put my "Twopenneth " in
here.  I was diagnosed with diabetes when I was 10 years old.  When I
reached the age of 12 I started to have fits on a very regular basis.  In
those days you couldn't do home monitoring but it was always low when
reaching casualty.  I had a one year break from attacks when i was 18 and
just when I thought I was free, whammo, it strated again and has never
stopped since.  I usually have two or three episodes per month.  In the past
I felt ill and dissorientated for days and suffered a lot of amnesia during
this time.  Since going on the pump I usuallly feel ok by the next day after
sleeping it off.  I guess that's to do with not having to eat.  In the past
it's been a real nightmare telling hospital staff that you can't eat because
I will be sick.  They soon realiseised that I was not joking.

I have never got an answer as to why the fits occur.  Sometimes it is
"because you are hypo"  some of the moor bizzzare suggestions include the
suggestion that the pancreas can produce insulin at times even if you are a
type 1 diabetic!!!!

I often wonder if the reason I feel okay and not hypo before an attack is
quite simply that I am not hypo before, only afterwards because of all the
muscle action during the attack.  After all you have to allow extra carbs
for other activities.  It has been shown that nerve damage can occur as a
result of diabetes and sometimes quite soon after diagnosis.  i wonder if
diabetes and fits go together in this way.

I am 38 years old now and it hasn't stopped despite many types of drug
attempts to calm them.  I find this current discussion very eye opening buyt
would welcome any imput from others and the professionals on this site too.

I will say that it is 70% fits and 30% diabetes that has had such a severe
impact on my life.  but I always find a way to try and be posative (if only
my spelling could be as posotive lol).