Re: [IPk] Adrenaline

Hi Barbara
Funny you should mention Blackpool Pleasure Beach - after numerous scientific
experiments at Blackpool, Alton Towers, and other scary places, I have come
up with the term "amusement park effect", which basically means that going on
scary rides shoots your BG up due to the adrenalin. The only solution is to
go to Legoland which is just as fun but doesn't have any scary rides (though
I know a certain person on this list who would disagree with me).
Seriously though, I get the same effect in any kind of competitive sport,
where you get a big rush of adrenalin. So much so that when I go to a dance
competition, in spite of the fact that I use up about a million extra
calories (the competition goes on for about 14 hours), I don't take any extra
carb or reduce my insulin, because the adrenalin makes my BG go up. Though I
often find at the end of the night when it's all over that my BG suddenly
comes crashing down once I relax finally.

Incidentally, the reason that you feel shaky etc when hypo is precisely due
to the adrenalin released in order to counter the hypo. Which is also whythe
ohypos you don't notice are the most dangerous, because they're the ones
where your body doesn't self-correct by releasing adrenalin.

It's also the reason why if you're engrossed in something like cleaning the
house or exercising, sometimes you actually feel a burst of energy when
you're hypo instead of feeling tired and shaky. Again, it's the adrenalin
rush. Has a lot to answer for!

The diabetes team are obviously way behind if they don't know about this.
Di