Re: [IPk] Credit terms for pumps

>Hello Colin
>What you have said is just right.  You do have a right to better your quality
>of life and I back you all the way.  Just hope everyone else sees it that
While no-one would say that the NHS shouldn't fund all _essential_ need
for pumps (i.e. in all cases where a pump gives tighter control, or
equal control with less hypos) than mdi, there remain, I think, a
significant group of people who would rather use a pump than mdi despite
it not giving better performance.  Reasons could include the ability to
bolus in public, for example (one of the things I like about it!)

This makes 'better quality of life' a dangerous thing to argue that the
NHS should fund (otherwise, why don't they fund me with a swimming pool
in the back garden?)  Rather, a 'basic standard quality of life' should
be funded, and any icing should be self-funded - rather like housing:
social housing provision ensures you have a roof over your head: want to
sleep and eat in different rooms, or a swimming pool in the back garden:
fund it yourself.

Which brings us to: what is a 'basic standard quality of life' for a
diabetic?  Is it as high as 'being like a non-diabetic'?  Where, for
example, should we accept the pain level - should funding be to pain-
free, or is mild, temporary pain (e.g. from finger-stabbing or needle
insertion) something which we should bear our own costs, should we wish
to have it removed.

Best wishes,

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)