Re: [IPk] Constant highs

Hi Bans, the pump doesn't measure blood glucose at all - that's part of
the long term vision, though: a way to 'close the loop' so that the
human mind doesn't have to be involved at all in calculating how much
insulin to tell the pump to give.

Until then, the prediction of hypos has to be done with 'the leetle grey
cells' as Poirot calls them.  And the 'alarm' is a regular alarm clock.

Don't worry too much about hypos in the night - your daughter almost
certainly _does_ have them, and gets through them just fine - perhaps as
frequently as every night.  The body has a way of detecting hypos and
kicking us out of them, with no more ill effect (usually) than a bad
hangover.  Most of the danger of hypos comes through trying to do stuff
while awake (such as drive a car, cross a road, or take an exam) - bed
is a very safe place to have them.

Hang on ... I just read your message about your brother, and think you
maybe mean something different to me by 'hypo': I mean 'a blood glucose
level lower than 4', you seem to mean 'unconscious through having low
blood glucose'.  I've been as low as 1.8 and still conscious and capable
of getting myself glucose, and never been low enough to be unconscious.

Hypos that severe are very, very rare - your daughter shouldn't be
having them at all, day or night.

Best wishes,

>Hello Pat
>I was wondering what you meant by 'set the alarm so that you can pick up a
>night time hypo'.  Do you mean that the pump has an alarm on it and if so,
>how does it work?  How does it predict a hypo?  I am very interested in this
>because I am constantly worrying (as other parents of diabetic children will
>understand) that my daughter will have a hypo during the night and I might
>not hear her.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)