Re: [IPk] Insulin Jets (pain-free insulin administrations)

A long time ago, I read that 'if jets were what we had for insulin
delivery, and someone invented the hypodermic syringe, we'd call it a
great step forwards!' - because, at that time, jets were imprecise and
painful ...

Things have almost certainly changed!

But (and it's a huge BUT) a jet is just a method of getting insulin into
your body which is very, very, like the hypodermic.  You get a blast of
insulin at one point, which is either chemically delayed in action, or
hits right there and then.  The pump is a completely different method -
with the potential to tailor activity curves to need.

I think this boils down your question: why are you looking at the pump?
If the answer is 'because my daughter is not psychologically able to
cope with syringes' then the jet's a great way to go - and the pump,
potentially no better than a syringe or pen).

If you are looking at the pump because of problems with stability,
desire to improve control, etc. then the jet won't do that for you, the
pump (and the half-way-houses of multiple daily injections and
carbohydrate assesssment) are the way to go.

Hope that helps!

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, married to a needle-phobe 15+

>Hello everyone
>Has anyone looked at www.insulinjet.com?  It is about pain-free insulin
>delivery and now I am not too sure about whether to go for a pump or for an
>insulin jet
>Maybe you will all look at the site and give your opinions?

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)