RE: [IPk] Diet-a plea

Hi Carmel

I have successfully lost weight on the pump although I am not
sure a dietician would recommend my approach.  Prior to pump
therapy I had managed to avoid being classed as overweight in
my last annual medical by half a kilo (and celebrated with a
mars bar!).  Now I have lost a little over a stone and sit
comfortably in the centre of the weight range for my height.

How did I do it?  Well I though about which meals I would
find hard to cut down on.  Basically I like a large meal in
the evening with a glass or 2 of wine (I know eating in the
evening is nt good but you have to work with what works best
for you).  I didn't enjoy lunch as I hate sandwiches and
because I run I didn't have time to sit down and eat
anything.  I was so used to having to eat 3 meals a day that
it took a while to realise that with a pump I don't have to!

My day is now:  glass of milk + multivitamin for breakfast.
Fruit smoothie for lunch (4 or 5 fruits liquidised) and a
full meal in the evening.  This is not going to be ideal for
everyone but it works for me.  I keep my blood sugras between
4 and 7.  If they are falling low, as they sometimes do after
running, I will have some wine gums rather than the chocolate
I used to eat.  In fact my friends that I run with refer to
it as the diet sprite and wine gum diet as that is usually
what I am clutching half an hour after finishing!  Certainly
it would be better if you could eat lunch and cut down in the
evening but this failed miserably for me.

Cutting down is the key and start by giving up the things
that are easiest for you to give up.  You will get used to
eating less (I don't know if your stomach does shrink or if
that is an old wives tale) but slowly you are able to cut
down a little more without feeling hungry.  I no longer feel
as though I am eating less - it is just a typical day for me
now.  You don't have to risk your health by running blood
sugars higher.

Keep up the exercise!!

Best of luck.

Beverley Smith