Re: [IPk] Diet-a plea

Hi Carmel,

Thanks for the information about mussels!  I have always put them down
as 'fish', and therefore v. low in carbohydrate (but chock full of
protein.  Excluding any sauces, of course.

The GEM counter doesn't include them (Shippams Sardine and Tomato paste
_si_, moules bonne femme, _non_. I told you it was stuck in 1982.

Any damage to your health (mental and physical) by the extra poundage is
almost certainly going to be less than the damage done by the extra
glucose in your blood.

If you enjoyed the gym, then keep going!  Not as a self-indulgence to be
squeezed in somehow, but as essential to your well-being as measuring
your blood glucose levels.  I should talk!  My pilates teacher left the
area in Feb. and I haven't been able to find a replacement ... anyone
know anywhere in Woking or the Blackwater valley area??? (Body control
pilates, for preference).

I have lost weight since going on the pump, despite having more hypos.
Don't worry about the lucosade - you should only need 15g CHO to treat a
simple hypo - which should be one a day, at most, on intensive therapy -
that's only 60 calories a day!

The advantage of the pump over mdi with carb assessment which have done
that 'effort free', as far as I'm concerned are the psychological
freedom from 'having to eat carbs' at every meal.  Lunch is now often
soup or salad - perhaps 10g CH0 ... Because the speed of the pump means
I can inject during or after a meal, I have been perfectly free to stop
eating.  If that means leaving carbohydrate on the plate (or anything
else), then so what?   I just bolus less.

If you want to change the balance of your food, rather than just
reducing it's total volume, remember that while every gram of CHO has 4
calories, every gram of fat has 9, so cutting down on CHO won't have as
big an impact as cutting down on fat.  However, if you find insulin is
rather sluggish in you (i.e you tend to go hypo 3 - 4 hours after
humalog, rather than the normal 1-2 after humalog), you may find cutting
down on fat and protein sends you hypo.

If you've got your basal levels sorted out properly (i.e. can skip meals
and the bgs stay constant), then if you are going hypo after reducing
CHO, then the boluses are not quite right (and for me, they are
impossible to get quite right!). You may need to delay injecting after
eating by some more time, for example.

Mussels high in CHO!  Well, they act like it ... anyone got any idea how
much for a normal mussel and a green lipped New Zealand one?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, shellfish addict - diet stuck in 1992).

In message <email @ redacted>, Carmel Matthews
<email @ redacted> writes
>Unfortunately, I have the misfortune to be very overweight and type 1, I am
>now at the age where people think I am type 2. I really hoped the pump would
>help me lose weight but I do think more intense contol makes it harder. I
>started to tweak my basals while ago to reduce my overall insulin intake
>which can be as high as 110 units. This gives really good bgs and some mild
>hypos but does not help with weight loss. My consultant advised me to
>increase my basals which go up to as high as 2.6 to cover the dawn
>phenomenen to reduce my hba1c. I am torn as I really want to lose weight. It
>is such a fine line. I find that restricting carb really helps but whilst
>trying to do this may well need lucozade along the way which isn't exactly
>low carb!! Does anyone feel it is worth the risk of running bgs slightly
>higher to lose weight ie around 8-10. I have never seriously voluntarily
>excercised in my life but plucked up the courage to go to the gym and
>thoroughly enjoyed it- I even managed to keep my bg at 6- 6.8 throughout. I
>guess that it was minimal in terms of workout compared to you serious
>exercise fanatics but a start for me!! I have always enjoyed walking as I
>have a dog.
>I guess I am not strict enough with calorie restriction  and count carbs but
>maybe that is where I am going wrong I love good food but my waistline cant
>afford me to enjoy too much of it . By the way Pat mussels - according to
>Atkins are high carb. Carmel - definately NOT fat and happy

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)