[IPk] Re: Diet

My DSN would hate me for saying this because she is very heavily involved
with DAFNE, but I have not heard particularly good reports from anyone who
has been on the course - I found it made no difference! I put this down to
the fact that it was still MDI in disguise. It still doesn't get around the
problem of Insulatard (or other intermediate/long acting) not being able to
mimic physiological basal insulin. For example, for me, missing dinner would
always result in a hypo due to the background action of the Insulatard.

Also, I found splitting my evening Insulatard in to two doses - one in the
morning and one in at night actually made my life even less flexible,
because I had to remember to get up to take the Insulatard (I never had to
get up to eat breakfast because my sugars were always over 14!)

A lot of people say the course takes up a lot of time for very little gain,
and doing between 5 and 8 injections a day for very little gain isn't
popular!

That all sounds horribly negative, but I wanted to give an honest opinion. I
know a lot of medical professionals are very excited by it and there is
evidence to prove it can work. I just think that if MDI doesn't work for
someone, DAFNE is not the magic solution, because it doesn't remove the
depots of intermediate/long acting insulin.  But I agree the principles of
carb assessment that it teaches are good (and as others have pointed out,
very important in pump use)

For me, I guess DAFNE really wasn't that much of a change anyway because
(and I don't know who taught my parents to do this), I grew up altering my
insulin to match carbs, rather than eating fixed amounts, From right when I
first went on MDI I took insulin EVERY time I ate -which is what DAFNE
teaches. So I shouldn't have been surprised it didn't work for me!

Good luck with the course though - I hope it does work for you.

Caroline
IDDM 18+yrs, MM507 3 weeks