[IPk] Re: vegetable carbs

In a message dated 6/8/2002 6:59:31 PM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> 100g onion is 8g, 200g tinned tomatoes is 6g, 100g young raw carrots is
> 6g.  Since 6g CHO will push up my bg by 2 points, I do have to inject
> for such things (perhaps this also contributed to the length of time I
> have to spend managing my diabetes - can 'normal' diabetics eat such
> things and ignore them?)
> 100g boiled parsnip is 13g (not so much less than boiled potatoes, which
> are 17g), so maybe you count them as a 'starchy' vegetable?
> I was interested to hear that you find beans a problem ... what do they
> do to you? Me, they make high hours later (it's rather as if half a tin
> of baked beans came with a couple of 100g of invisible cheese attached

Hi Pat,
Yes, I'd count parsnips (along with carrots, peas, potatoes etc) as starchy
veggies. Tomatoes, onions, sprouts, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, green
beans etc don't have any effect on my bg.  I had no contact with other
diabetics until I joined this group, so maybe my comments about American veg
carb-counting only apply to my own weird metabolism!  I'd be interested to
hear what others have experienced.

My experience with beans (of the haricot, kidney etc variety as opposed to
green) seems to be similar to yours - I get a peak much longer after eating
them than I'd expect, about 5-6 hours, and I get the same sort of effect with
moderate fat veggie pizza.