Re: [IPk] Diet

If your insulin is 'driving' you - you have to eat a snack or go hypo,
for example, you may find that DAPHNE doesn't give you what you want:
you may find the 'tail' of bolus insulin for meals still means you need
a snack 3 - 4 hours afterwards.

However, you will find that you will be able to see how to modify your
diet some, and still maintain your current level of control, or better
it, so it will be worth it.

Carbohydrate counting is considered too difficult for normal people.  I
think the medical profession somehow got a bit confused between
misunderstanding and non-compliance (goodness, didn't they know that
people say 'I didn't understand' when what they mean is 'I didn't want
to do that'???).  Why would people not want to carbohydrate count?
Because in the past it was often decreed 'count, and make sure that you
have 50g CHO (or some such) on your plate.  They forgot (ha!) to explain
that you can have half the CHO and half the insulin, or twice the CHO
and twice the insulin, if you feel like it!  That is why we say
'carbohydrate assessment' rather than 'carbohydrate counting': to show
that we mean 'calculate the CHO, and then calculate the insulin', not
'calculate the CHO, and then take off a spoonful of rice, or add a
banana, or eat it anyway and feel guilty or go hypo'. Faced with classic
carb counting (as opposed to carbohydrate assessment), there was a time
when I'd say I didn't understand it rather than admit I knew why I'd
gone high, and done so deliberately!

People somehow, manage to understand the need to make the mortgage
payment on their house or pay the rent on their flat, and make the
necessary arrangements, make stews from raw ingredients  ... that's all
the mathematical ability and responsibility that is needed!  Amazing
that so many diabetics can pay the mortgage, but so few are entrusted to
do carbohydrate assessment!

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 5081+

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Hi everyone, I have been reading with interest the comments on Diabetic Diets,
>and the fact that they don't exist. I was diagnosed three years ago, but I was
>told that I should have the same diet as a non diabetic, just spread over the
>day. Of course it didn't work like that, the portion sizes stayed the same, and
>I just added snacks! Hence the desperate need to loose weight. But I was never
>told about carbohydrate counting, in fact the impression I got was that no one
>did that any more ... is this not the case? However, I was wondering how many of
>you had heard of DAFNE? I am going on the course in a few weeks, where I will be
>taught to look at the carb content of what I want to eat!!! I am really excited
>about it!!!

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)