[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #129

In a message dated 6/7/2002 12:00:28 AM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> I know there is a book called Countdown to Carbohydrate (or similar) but I
> have heard so many differing stories about carbohydrate and protein and
> what
> effects it has on diabetes blood sugar control.  I am now not sure which
> book
> to buy.  Has anyone bought a book which they have found to cover everything
> with diabetes regarding food content?  The reason I ask this is because
> somebody wrote in about the Bernstein book and how it had helped control
> their diabetes.  Have any other diabetics on this list read his book and
> did
> the diabetes clinic accept it?
> Babs

Hi Babs,
I hope your query about security guards was answered earlier.
I don't know who wrote this book, I have several with similar titles.  If
it's American, in general I would advise caution with carbo counting as they
often advocate counting significant CHO values for non-starchy vegetables -
these don't affect me at all, and if I used these values I'd go hypo very
quickly.  As with protein and alcohol, you have to work it out for yourself.
(And yes - I have problems with bean CHO absorption too.)