[IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V2 #129

In a message dated 6/7/2002 12:00:28 AM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> Has anyone been through a metal detector and NOT set it off. I'm almost
> thinking of disconnecting and putting pump in bag next time but find
> reconnecting difficult to do discretely. Plus, always a bit paranoid about
> someone snatching bag
> Talking about MDI: how did reverting back affect your control.? It's
> something that I would always be very reluctant to do, but can see
> situations where it would be advantageous such as holidays, not wanting to
> get pump nicked on beach or by poolside etc

Hi Abigail,
I have never had problems going straight through a metal detector (no beeps),
and I travel quite frequently although since I've had the pump I've only been
to European countries until recent trip. I have been asked to remove my
"pager" in Europe but they've always seemed to appreciate what the pump is
when I've told them.  (Do bear in mind Pat Reynolds' experience in Guernsey,
however!)  You should have seen the faces in Turkey when my "phone" went
through and no alarm sounded - to be honest, I'm not sure that they believed
my explanations, but together with showing them the tubing and site that's
probably how I managed it!

Thank goodness, I didn't have to go back to MDI this trip.  Last year, I
found I had exactly the same problems as previously, with awful bgs (over 20)
- even though I had much better knowledge of concepts such as basal rate.
The experience did help with my doubts as to whether I should be using /
could afford the pump.