[IPk] pumps and airport security

Pmps all have enough metal in them that if the sensitivity of a metal
detector is 'turned up' (something that the FAA--Federal Aviation
Administration--can dictate in the US; I don't know who's in charge in the
UK), a pump will set off an alarm.

We had a pretty big thread about airport security experiences in (I think)
March or April. You might find the post archive/log (available from the
insulin-pumpers website) a good resource on the topic.

Generally, though, as airport security staff are seeing more pumps, they are
beginning to recognize them. Several times in my first years of pumping I
had to show a guard my tubing, even my site, and say loudly, with conviction
and a smile, 'This is MEDICAL EQUIPMENT, and I MUST have it. If this is
going to be an issue, I would like to see your supervisor IMMEDIATELY'.
That usually got me through all right. Sometimes I still need to do that.
Yet more recently (when in the US), I've had guards say, 'Hey, my
neighbor/cousin/aunt has one of those!'