[IPk] Security barriers

>Do you mean that the security devices are picking up the pumps?  If so, do
>the guards know what a pump is?
If they've got the 'gate' turned down really low, they don't pick it up.
But post 11th Sept, most times it will be picked up.

Some airport guards know what a pump is, and wave you on. Some want to
reassure themselves that you are not a terrorist, and take you aside to
check (female to female).

To carry on supplies, for Guernsey airport, you may need a doctor's
letter.  For all other airports, you may need to show medication (i.e.
insulin) in its original pharmacy-dispensed container, showing that it
is dispensed to you. The US pumpers page has a link to the US /
international regulations affecting pumpers flying.

My husband, who works on international transport of endangered species,
antiquities and so on turned up some very, very scary stuff about
international travel with drugs (inc. insulin and medical equipment,
like the pump).  For example, you are not allowed to import drugs into
the US, or re-import exported drugs.  You MAY be allowed to bring them
in, but this is purely at the discretion of the US officials at the
time.  And you can't pre-book or pre-arrange to take drugs in.

However, almost without exception, security folk know their jobs (i.e.
time spent harassing innocent diabetics is time not spent observing
potential criminals!), and almost without exception (and I'm never going
back to Guernsey) I have been hassle free: reactions of guards ranging
from gentle sympathy to boredom.

Best wishes to all,

dm 30+, 508 1+, 7 airports in the last year.
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)