Re: [IPk] Carbohydrate books?

Dear Babs,

The Bernstein book is about a diet which has low absolute amounts of
carbohydrate (CHO).

'Carbohydrate countdown' used to be published by the BDA, but is, I
think, out of print.  Like the Collins Gem calorie counter, it gave
carbohydrate values of food.  It isn't a 'diet' book, simply a book that
tells you if you have 100g of banana before you, you have 28g of
carbohydrate.  When people start carbohydrate assessment, they need to
look stuff up and weigh stuff - gradually it becomes 'second nature' -
even guessing how much CHO is in a pasta dish or cake eaten in a cafe
can be done surprisingly accurately.

What you want is, I think, neither of these things.  What you need is a
book which explains 'carbohydrate assessment' or 'carb counting'.  This
will explain insulin activity curves, carbohydrate activity curves,
protein curves, the affects of exercise, and how (theoretically!) one
can balance all of these (plus, of course, stress, menstruation,
shifting time zones, alcohol, and generally having a life!).

The theory is rather complicated, but what it boils down to is a simple
assessment of what's on the plate  Want a glass of milk?  200ml semi-
skim milk has 10g CHO, so, for me, that's 1 unit of insulin.  You might
need only 0.5, or 3.5 - how much you need is an individual thing -  very
individual.  I find that in the morning that same glass of milk would
need 1.3 units, and in the evening it would need .7 units...

The book 'pumping insulin' describes how to find out how much you,
personally, need to divide the grams of CHO by, to find out how much
insulin to inject.

You will note that carbohydrate assessment _doesn't_ tell you how much
carbohydrate to eat.  Some people find that they do better if they don't
eat more than a certain amount of CHO at one sitting -  for Di it's 30
or 40g, for me it seems to be 100g.  Nor does it tell you what to eat:
looking at a plate with half a pizza on it, all you see is '55g CHO' not
'what will that do to my health'.  But the advantage of carbohydrate
assessment is that whether you choose a plateful of lightly steamed
vegetables and rice, or pizza, your blood glucose remains in the normal
range. With carbohydrate assessment, you can follow _any_ diet that non-
diabetics can (ranging from following the 'healthy eating' guidelines
pushed by the clinics, through to something you found in a magazine!).

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 1+, too much pizza

>Hello everyone
>I know there is a book called Countdown to Carbohydrate (or similar) but I
>have heard so many differing stories about carbohydrate and protein and what
>effects it has on diabetes blood sugar control.  I am now not sure which book
>to buy.  Has anyone bought a book which they have found to cover everything
>with diabetes regarding food content?  The reason I ask this is because
>somebody wrote in about the Bernstein book and how it had helped control
>their diabetes.  Have any other diabetics on this list read his book and did
>the diabetes clinic accept it?

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)