[IPk] Various issues

Hi folks,
I'd like to second Babs's plea - how on earth do you select out multiple
replies?  I've asked the group several times about computery matters, but
have never had a response - OK, many of you were born using computers, but
some of us have to be told!

In a message dated 6/6/2002 12:29:27 PM GMT Daylight Time, email @ redacted

> One thing also to bear in mind is what people mean when they say 'high
> fat', or 'low fat' - do they mean large ABSOLUTE amounts of fat, etc.,
> or do they mean high or low percentages of fat, etc.?

Contrary to expectations and what's been posted here, pizza isn't necessarily
a high fat food - especially the veggie ones (I like garlic mushroom and
onion, excellent if you want to be on your own for a while) - but how to
define "high fat"?  (Incidentally, eating high fat food is fine as long as
the average daily fat total is running at about 30% of the ideal calorie
level.)  Obviously fat affects CHO absorption - how much will vary according
to the individual.  A tip I use for healthy eating and which also helps with
planning insulin boluses is to divide the total calorie count by 30, and if
the fat grams are more than that then it's high fat and I need to give a slow
release insulin bolus (I do like square wave, suits me fine). For example, a
pizza portion of 450 cals containing 18g fat will work out as18 x 9 = 162
cals from fat  =  162/450 = 36% fat, so I need to give a longer duration
bolus.  Personally I also need to give a 1-1.5 hour square wave bolus for a
meal containing more than 60g CHO.  My bgs are not affected by protein and
unsweetened alcoholic drinks such as dry cider and dry white and red wine; I
was surprised to find that many diabetics experience rise in bg with these,
but you live and learn and each diabetic has to find out how they are
affected - don't make assumptions!

I had the good fortune to visit Turkey recently - had some problems exiting
the country wearing the pump (and guess what, I don't speak Turkish!) but
eventually managed to communicate the nature of the "phone" to them by lots
of hand signals and showing them the site (this is a Muslim country, and I
think I might have shocked them into letting me go through!).  Last year, I
had to leave the pump off and go back to MDI for the holiday because in very
hot weather (30 C +) the adhesive wouldn't stick - this year I used Polyskin
11 (via AMT) under the insertion site and this was fine. I know some of you
have had similar problems, so hope that might help.