From: "Jackie Jacombs" <email @ redacted>
To: <email @ redacted>
Subject: Re: [IPk] low fat
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 19:18:41 +0100

Hi Joanne

It sounds like you are doing OK.  Is he eating the same sort of amount of
as before dx?  If so, then what you are doing is probably fine.  Some people
with diabetes swear by a low carb diet others eat "normal"  proportions,
normal  for them that is.  Sasha actually eats a very high carb diet because
she doesn't like meat, eggs or fish very much.  She eats meat if it is
or sausages.  When we have a roast dinner she eats lots of potatoes, some
boiled, some roast, lots of veggies and either stuffing or Yorkshire pudding
depending on what meat we are having, sometimes a little meat but only tiny
amounts.  Sasha's  A1c is low, last one was 5.5 the previous 3 tests between
6.9 and 5.9 and has never been higher than 7.2.  So if you match the insulin
to the carb intake there should not be a problem.  If you are using mixed
insulin then the best thing to do is just try and keep the carb amount
in each meal.  If he always eats less carb then you will be giving him less
insulin anyway and he will still be gaining weight and growing because he
be eating other types of food.  Protein turns to glucose eventually but take
much longer than complex carbs.  Perhaps if you want to know more about that
someone else can explain more fully than I can.

Some people may find that it's harder for them to keep their blood sugars
level if they eat a high carb diet and others like Sasha may find it easier
a high carb diet because we don't have lots of protein turning into glucose
hours later and spiking the blood sugars.  We sometimes get this effect with
pizza and pasta though I'm not sure if this is because of the fat or the
she eats with the pasta.

The best thing to do is see what Miles usually eats and in what proportions
and take it from there.

Joanne, by the way there is a new mailing list for UK parents of children
diabetes if you are interested.

You have to go to the Children with Diabetes website

Go to the column on the left hand side, under a section that says "people"
click on "email" and then you will see the list of e mail support groups,
there is now, since yesterday a new UK link.  I am the new list manager!  I
asked if they would set up a UK link because there is nothing equivalent at
the moment in the UK.  Then you will be able to discuss general experiences
with other uk parents and perhaps school issues.  Then you can stay on this
list too for pump information.  You have to subscribe in the usual way and
then you will get an email asking if you to verify the subscription (this is
so other people cannot subscribe or unsubscribe you) it is very easy to
unsubscribe  if you want to leave the list.

There is only one member on the list as it is so new and that's me.