Re: [IPk] low fat

Hi Joanne
The important thing to remember about diabetes is that in order to have good
BG levels, your carbohydrate intake and insulin must be balanced. Think of it
like a pair of scales - carbs on the one side and insulin (and exercise) on
the other. Of course, there are other factors like stress, but ignore them
for now. What tends to happen is that the doctors prescribe a fixed amount of
insulin, and then tell you to match the carbohydrate intake to that fixed
amount of insulin. This means that if you don't have enough carbs at a meal,
you'll go low, so they advise you to have plenty of carbs at each meal.
It is, however, perfectly possible to alter the amount of insulin you take,
so that you can eat the amount of carbohydrate you want, and take an
appropriate matching amount of insulin. So, if you only want to eat 1 slice
of toast instead of 2 for breakfast, you might take 1 less unit of insulin.
Many consultants feel that this is too complicated, especially for children,
and that they're better having fixed amounts of insulin and therefore carbs.
The other main point is that in order to maintain a healthy weight and
lifestyle, people (in general, not just diabetics) are advised to eat high
carbohydrate, low fat meals. This a\dvice is extended to diabetics. Though,
as people have already pointed out on here, eating low fat meals is not
necessarily to be recommended for children. So, there's a dichotomy going
The other factor to throw into the equation is the type of insulin regime you
are on. Many children are put on 1 or 2 injections a day of pre-mixed
insulin, because it is thought to be easier, and to minimise the number of
injections. With pre-mixed insulin, it's difficult to adjust the dose
according to the food, because you can't alter the short-acting part without
altering the long-acting part. That's why I personally think that pre-mixed
insulins (which didn't exist when I was diagnosed over 20 years ago) are the
spawn of the devil!

Having said all that, it may not be a bad thing for Miles to have a high
carbohydrate diet, but I wouldn't worry too much about it being low fat. The
only thing to bear in mind is that if you mix high fat and high carbohydrate
in the same meal (e.g. pizza), his BGs are likely to remain higher for
longer, because the addition of fat slows down the absorption of carbs.

Personally, I find my BG levels easier to control and I feel better when I
don't have too much carbohydrate, but that's just me. It's not necessarily
the same for everyone. I still try to eat low fat, however, and generally
replace most of the "heavy" carbs (like rice, potatoes etc) with "lighter"
carbs such as vegetables and protein. So instead of having sandwiches for
lunch, I have a salad with maybe half a potato or a spoonful of rice, plenty
of protein and plenty of salad or vegetables. I'm not suggesting that
everyone should eat like that, but that's what works for me.

Sorry for shouting. Everyone is individual, and what works for one person
(diabetic or not) doesn't work for everyone. Unfortunately, most of the
medical profession is blissfully unaware of this fact!
Hope that helps