Re: [IPk] low fat

Hi Joanne,

The advice you've been given sounds insufficient indeed. If I were you I
would seek out a dietician who specializes in children's needs, not those of
adult type 2s, which is what it sounds like you've encountered. Dieticians
mean well but they aren't omniscient.

As a few people have indicated, people can react differently to large
amounts of carbohydrate. If Miles does not want to eat two slices of bread
with lunch (for example) because he doesn't feel good if he does, he should
not eat bread just to feed his insulin. He should eat what he wants (within
reason) and have enough insulin to cover it and allow him to be an active,
playful kid. There's no point in keeping his blood sugars so low that he
can't run around for 15 minutes without a hypo, and there's similarly little
point in overfeeding him to keep his sugars high enough to bear the amount
of insulin he's been given.

Cautionary tale: when I was diagnosed at 12, the hospital dietician worked
up a 4500-calorie/day diet for me, based on what I had eaten before my
diagnosis. I had been practically starving and my cells had been dying! Once
I got some insulin, I returned to a normal weight very fast. I found I could
not eat as much as I was 'supposed' to. The hospital dietician was used to
type 2s requiring subtle changes to existing eating patterns. She had no
idea about the needs of pre-adolescent children. My diabetes educator (=
DSN) and I worked up a 2500-calorie/day diet that I could actually manage to
consume. Now, having pumped for a few years and made it through puberty, I
eat pretty much what I want, exercise regularly, drink moderately, and
generally strive for 'balance'.

'Morals' of the story: 1) there is no such thing as a 'diabetic diet', there
is only what someone with diabetes chooses to eat; 2) diabetes management is
an art, not a science.

All the best,

IDDM 8 years; MiniMed pumper almost 6