[IPk] reuse

Hi Allan,

You do mean that you reuse the tubing, not the infusion set? The infusion
set, as far as I know, means the subcutaneous cannula and the plastic bit
(attached to adhesive) that connects to the tubing on the surface of your

Plastic tubing can be reused safely without sterilization (or, at least, the
fact that the Tender/Silhouette sets are available in 'combo' packs so that
one can reuse tubing would suggest there is no health risk in doing so. I've
never gotten an infection that way). Or do you actually keep your insertion
needles and reuse your cannulas? If you do reuse cannulas, how do you manage
to keep them in? My adhesive is usually shot after about 4 days. Further,
the bit of clear plastic that covers the spot where the cannula goes in has
normally deteriorated quite a lot by then. I have thought putting Tegaderm
or something like it over a set might work to keep it in, but the big
problem might be that sweat, which can normally be 'breathed' through the
adhesive that comes attached to the set, could be sealed in. I'm sure the
result would not be pretty or sterile.

I tend to reuse my reservoir syringes until the paint's worn off, in all
honesty. The important thing is to keep the needle that attaches to the
syringe from getting dirty. I once had to bin a whole vial of insulin
because a speck of something had made its way from the bit of the needle
that screws to the syringe into the vial. I reuse my tubing a maximum of
three times because I find it tends to kink more easily the more it's used.
If stretch my tubing taut (vertically) before I attach the newly (re!)filled
reservoir, I can drain out most of the old insulin and the accompanying air
pockets that tend to take up residence in my tubing after a few days (those
last pesky bubbles I just can't get out of the reservoir have to go

IDDM 8 years; MiniMed pumper almost 6 years