Re: [IPk] What my doctor said when I asked about the pump

>Is this the norm?

No, the norm is just what she said, and 'come back in six months':  a
referral to the Liverpool (or other pump centre) is far, far from the
norm.  You are lucky to have such an open-minded doctor!

As to the weight issue.  I have lost 7 kilos since going on the pump (a
year ago).  Not through any attempt to diet or change to my eating
patterns: just through being able to eat what I want, when I want.  This
was not possible on mdi, because the long-acting insulin wasn't right,
and square boluses were not possible (take last night's dinner, for
example: the Insalata della Casa at Cafe Uno: lettuce, avacado, bacon
and goats cheese, plus dressing - est under 10g cho, and rather a lot of
fat and protein!  Took 5 units over six and a half hours, and woke up
with a bg of 5.4.  Pure guesswork, of course, but absolutely impossible
with mdi!  On mdi I'd have had to have some bread or a pudding ....
result: added poundage!

Also with a pump, it's perfectly possible to eat half a dinner, and
think 'that's enough', and stop eating.  With Chinese food and such
like, I may take seven or eight boluses during a meal: one for each
little dish eaten.

Some people do put weight on with a pump, because they have been unable
to eat extra and take extra boluses on their previous regime - but if
you've been on mdi, and always been able to cover any additional snacks
or second helpings you wanted, then the pump won't give you that

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508+
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)