[IPk] diabetes care/ education

I believe the care I recieved when diagnosed at the age of 12 in 1986 was
superior to that given now to many children with D and their parents. Crap pre
mixed insulins were not available. we mixed our own cocktail of actrapid and
monotard, which allowed far more flexibility if BG was problematic at one
particular time of day. I was also told that on a special occasion I could
inject extra actrapid ( the impetus was on me to stick to my eating plan most
of the time) _People tell patients to inject extra mixtard before a meal if
large, but surely this will not cover the meal effectively but lower then too
much later
We were taught "exchanges" ie 10 g carb portions. I never found this approach
too restrictive as the dietician based meals and snacks around what I liked
and I was forever told that if I was getting too hungry they could increase it
and adjust my insulin
Bloos glucose testing was used ( strips were available on the nhs for
children) I used the BM 1-44. ( metres have come a long way since then), and I
was encouraged to test frequently
When I was in my quite young teens I was readily  put on MDI at my and my
parents request.