Re: [IPk] BG's and illness

On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, you wrote:
> I know there was an earlier thread on BG's and illness and how you have to
> increase your basal.  I have had a pretty nasty bug the past few days and am
> still not over it, but what I notice is the increase in my bolus needs as
> well as my basal.
> What I did to try to circumvent high BG's was increase my basal by 40%
> throughout the day and then have been taking extra boluses if need be, but
> in addition when I have eaten my boluses have had to be almost double what I
> usually take for that amount of CHO - anyone else noticed this?

Hi Audrey
I think that's normal. If you consider the reason you need a higher basal rate,
it's because your body becomes more insulin resistant when it's under stress
and fighting an infection or whatever, and so it needs more insulin to do the
same job. That means it's going to be more insulin
resistant when it comes to boluses too, and therefore you need a higher
insulin/carb ratio at that time.