RE: [IPk] Studies Mixed on Safety of Insulin Pumps for Kids

Well, I don't think much of that. First, the writer doesn't know much about
insulin pumps: implanted, indeed. Secondly, the second study is yet another
of those medical wonders, the study undertaken to tell us exactly what we
know already:

A second study, however, cautions that children's risk of diabetic
ketoacidosis may increase on the insulin pump. The condition is marked by
acid build-up in the blood, and can occur if the insulin pump fails.

In addition, patients can suffer from low blood sugar, extreme thirst and a
number of other complications if the pump is set incorrectly, note Dr.
Nicole Celona-Jacobs and colleagues from Children's Hospital of

They did a study to prove this? Why didn't they just read the pump
literature? Oh, sorry, you don't get funding and an additional publication
for your CV that way. That study just makes me wonder about the diabetes
department in CHP: aren't they supposed to be vetting clients thoroughly
before putting them on pumps?