Re: [IPk] High morning BG's

>My BG's are fine throughout the day, but I am waking up with BG's in double
>figures most mornings (this morning being the worst at 16.8! but no
>ketones).  My hospital are not very experienced with pumps and their advice
>was to 'play around with your basals'.  I have done this and have raised my
>basal by 0.1 to 1.3/hr for 3.5 hours before waking.  I have been trying to
>adjust the basal for about a fortnight now and each change sees good results
>for the day or 2 after the adjustment, but then the readings start to climb

Hi Liz -

I meant to reply last week, but we were doing silly things like moving
house, so everything was a bit disorganised :-)

I won't claim that my morning bg's are always perfect. They aren't. But
often they are, and I am thankful for that.

I see overnight as particularly difficult in me partly because I can't
respond to things as they happen: I can't check my bg every night at 3am
and 5am and adjust my insulin accordingly. I would rather enjoy a solid
night's sleep.

Various problems that I seem to face:

* My requirements are sometimes unpredictable, and there ain't nothing I
can do about that if I'm asleep. During the day, I can make live

* If I sleep badly (babies crying etc) my bg can sometimes go very high.

* If I eat within an hour or two of going to bed, it can cause my bg to do
unpredictable things (presumably since the digestive system switches into
nighttime mode). Before I had a pump, having a bowl of cereal before bed
was essential to stop myself going hypo in the night. Now I try to avoid
it. I also try to eat earlier in the evening, and not too heavily, so most
of the food is digested while I'm awake.

And to recap what Di mentioned, having an unknown hypo during the night may
cause the bg to rebound in response to various hormones the body produces,
and make your waking bg very high, and it can take a day or two for your
insulin sensitivity to settle back down again.

Hope that gives you more to think about. A pump gives you potentially finer
control, so you look harder, and end up finding even more problems than you
thought you had - which is not necessarily a bad thing :-)

Incidently, while packing for our move last week (it's actually a 10 week
relocation) I had a nighttime hypo caused I presume by the vigorous
activity, and by my failure to make appropriate adjustments. Towards the
end of a 5 hour drive the next day I had another hypo - and to my alarm I
had no strong prior warnings, and suddenly lost control of the car in the
fast lane of the motorway. It was a terrifying experience for us all.
Thankfully my wife took the steering wheel and brought us in to the hard
shoulder. Seems to be a classic case of a preceding hypo causing you to
lose early warnings for the next hypo. I've not yet decided how to respond
to this incident.

mailto:email @ redacted