[IPk] Re:

In message <email @ redacted>, Duncan Barnes <email @ redacted
yanston.co.uk> writes
>My doctor is not keen on the idea of a pump but he has not really given me any
>reason why I should
>not use one. How can I change his mind about this and how can I get financial
>support to get one?
The financial support comes from your health authority, not your doctor,
so target them.  Elizabeth and I have both written model letters (well,
I adapted hers), both of which are on the web (mine on the ip-uk site),
and you are free to adapt.  Basically, they make the economic argument
for you being on the pump.  Money _is_ all these people are allowed to
care about.

The health authority may well be influenced by your MP (who may well
also listen to the economic argument, but will probably like the
quality-of-life arguments), and possibly be influenced by the media (who
knows what will influence them?)

I really don't know what finally turned my doctor around.  Perhaps it
was starting a DPhil (hey, I'm intelligent! I won't die if you put me on
a pump!), perhaps it was the worsening HbA1cs. Perhaps it was the fact
I'd secured the funding from the health authority, and that would be
'wasted' if he said no.  Perhaps I was fighting a paper tiger the whole
time, and he never was against it at all.

>I've had diabetes since I was 7 and I'm on four injections a day. I do blood
>tests at least twice a
>day but more often about four.

When you first go on the pump, you have to do a lot, lot more.  But it
is worth it - I could, for the first time in my life, actually do
something about the patterns I could see emerging.

Best wishes,

DM 30+, 508 2months +, overdue Chapter 1 of thesis (the previous three
statements are very much connected!)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)