[IPk] High morning BG's

I'm experiencing some problems with my BG's and wondered if anyone had any

My BG's are fine throughout the day, but I am waking up with BG's in double
figures most mornings (this morning being the worst at 16.8! but no
ketones).  My hospital are not very experienced with pumps and their advice
was to 'play around with your basals'.  I have done this and have raised my
basal by 0.1 to 1.3/hr for 3.5 hours before waking.  I have been trying to
adjust the basal for about a fortnight now and each change sees good results
for the day or 2 after the adjustment, but then the readings start to climb

It doesn't do it every day though - yesterday my BG on waking was 5.1 - just
where I want it :o)

Has anyone else experienced anything similar?  What worked?

Other than this wrinkle my BG's are brill compared with before the pump.  I
haven't had a HBA1c since I started pumping but the last four prior to the
pump were in the range of  11 .8 to 14.1  :o(

IDDM 24 yrs+, 508 pumper 7wks