Re: [IPk] pump fitting

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, you wrote:
>>The last message I sent failed, so here we go again.
>I am trying to get a pump fitted for my daughter eho is 1
1 yrs old, and it seems that there is no where experienced enough in the
UK to do this. Is this correct? She also needs a tonsillectomy done and
although Great Ormond St.have offered to do this via Portland Hospital they
have advised us to take my daughter to Yale Hospital, USA. We are at
present trying to set up a schedule in Baltimore with Johns Hopkins
Hospital, but we thought UK would be less travelling for her and as my
parents are still in Wales it would be an added bonus for her after her
surgery. >Thanks >Regards AMY ( Mother to Maytha dx. 3/00 )

Hi Amy
The problem in the UK is not that there is noone experienced enough, but
that it may be very difficult to find someone *willing* to see your daughter
and authorise a pump, especially since you will be returning home
immediately. And since your daughter was only diagnosed in March.
You may find it easier in the US, I don't know. I presume you've done all
the background research into pumps and what will be involved.
Is there a doctor at home willing to take on the responsibility
of looking after your daughter once she has the pump? Once you have the
pump, you can't just forget about it - you do need expert backup medical
support. That's not to say it can't be done, but it is a big challenge if
none of your medical team have any experience of pump therapy.