Re: [IPk] Post-meal Spikes

Hi Mike
I had a similar problem until I realised that my Humalog was running
out before the carbs were.
I was also, however, tending to suffer from hyposabout 20 mins after eating.
I found that moving the Humalog later helped sort both problems out.
I wonder if you have ever checked your BG about 30 mins after eating?
If it is quite low then, then you might benefit from taking the Humalog
later. 15 mins . before you eat is quite early to take it, so it might be
peaking too soon and running out too early. Or it may just be that it takes
longer to act for you.
If you increase the bolus and go hypo 4-5 hours later,this is interesting
given that the action of Humalog is usually over by then. So it might
suggest that it does indeed have a longer and slower action for you than is
!standard". Or else, your basals are too high. But if you've been testing
them properly, then this shouldn't be the case.

If I'm eating a low GI meal, then I do a square wave
or split bolus (effectively what you're doing), which works quite well for
me. Is the unpredictability only when you eat different foods? If so, you
might want to consider the Gi of the foods you're eating, and the
proportions of fat and protein.

Don't know if any of this helps at all.