[IPk] PCOS - slightly off topic

Does anyone know anything about polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)? My 30
year old cousin told me a few days ago that she has it. PCOS seems to cause
a variety of hormone levels to be out of control, causing very high insulin
levels (leading to insulin resistence, obesity, and later Type 2 diabetes).
She had heard that often people with PCOS have a close relative with Type 1
diabetes - which certainly fits here.

My cousin has had great success by following a sort of Type 2 diabetic
diet, high in unrefined carbohydrates, which she eats strictly 5 times a
day, along with a calculated amount of protein. The idea is to keep a
steady insulin requirement, which will stop the insulin levels fluctuating
wildly. So far, she has lost a lot of weight (excessive weight gain is
problem with PCOS), and has been told that this strategy sometimes restarts
menstrutaion. She and her husband are keen to have kids, but the lack of
menstruation is clearly a problem.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this, I'd love to hear from
you - privately if necessary, as this is only half connected with diabetes.

Thanks -

mailto:email @ redacted