Re: [IPk] Re: Letter To Balance, also flying

> Re: [IPk] Re: Letter To Balance
>We all have different experiences and feelings, and thank goodness for

>that, if we were all to think the same way the pumpers group would not

>exist and which would be the chosen method of thought - perhaps that
>national front, what would life be like then? Some people might choose

>treat diabetes in the same way as leprosy was in biblical times, even
>that would hardly have reduced the diabetic population because most
>diabetics do not have any ancestors who had diabetes (type1) and those

>get type2 normally do so after their child bearing age.
>Please note what I said about people's views being (greatly) dependant

>their own experience.

Just wanted to comment on your last sentence, with reference to the
letter to Balance about fertility treatment for a type 1 diabetic.  The
letter also outraged me, for all the reasons which other people have
mentioned, but also for the additional one that I myself (long before
diagnosis of diabetes - I developed type 1 two and a half years ago at
age 48) underwent fertility treatment (though fortunately did not need
to resort to something as drastic as IVF).  The experience of years
where we were apparently unable to have children was for me very
devastating.  Anyone who has not been there should take a minute to
consider it before excluding anyone in that situation from the
possibility of help.  Things may have changed, but adoption, which we
were starting to consider seriously at the time when I finally became
pregnant, is difficult - certainly in the 1970's there were very few
babies who were candidates for adoption in England.

After all the saga of infertility, to my great amazement and profound
gratitude, I did eventually have 4 children, none of whom so far have
diabetes, but since type 1 seems to start relatively late in our family
(although I am really the latest!), it is far from impossible that one
or other of them may eventually develop diabetes, and yes, I will feel
guilty (but perhaps no more so than about numerous other not-so-great
traits they may have inherited or picked up from the environment we
have provided for them), though I am cautiously optimistic that
treatment options will have advanced further by then so that the impact
on their lives, while presumably still non-trivial, will at least be

On a more practical level, could someone reassure me once more about
flying - is it really entirely safe to go through the metal detectors
etc without them in some way affecting the pump?  the only time I did
fly with the pump, just to be sure I did insist on not taking the pump
through the metal detector (because someone said to me just think what
a dreadful way to begin a trip if the pump was somehow disabled) - is
this reasonable, or should I just forget such anxieties and walk
confidently through, pump and all, on a planned trip to the US in three
weeks time?

Thanks very much

Do You Yahoo!?